Flax seeds also called as Linseed is a plant which are grown about 2-3 feet tall with thin stems. This plant has Leaves, Flowers and also Fruit. The Fruit is the one which contains the shiny flax seeds. Two different colours seeds are available - Brown and Golden. The seeds are rich in Calories, Proteins, Fibres, Omega-3 fats and many more. The health benefits of this seed is it prevents Constipation, Diabetes, Cholesterol, Cancer and many Heart problems.
Nutritional Ways to add Flaxseeds in your daily diet:
1. Flaxseed Powder can be added in Lukewarm Water. Drinking this will act as a very good detox ifier.
2. The powder can be sprinkled in your breakfast, Soups and even in Chicken too. It is okay to add in Idly or Rice .
3. The powders will add a flavour to your shakes .
4. The powder can also be missed along with pepper, salt and onion while making an omelette .
5. Good to consult doctor if you are Pregnant or BreastFeeding.
Popular Myths of Flaxseed:
1. Golden Flax is better than Brown Flax. But the truth is there is no difference in its nutrition between both the coloured seeds.
2. Flax Seeds are Expensive. The budget is important, but when it comes to heath, it is okay to reduce foods which are not actually good and replace it with these nutritional ones.
3. Flax Seeds tastes bad. Fact is when you think it is good for your heath, and then it will taste good. So before you start consuming think only about its benefits. Trust me, you will love it.
To remember while taking Flax Seeds:
1. One to Two tablespoons per day is more than enough.
2. It is best to be taken in powdered form. If taken as a whole, chew well and drink enough amount of water.
3. It is good to have this before sunset. Since digestion process slows down after sunset.
One Simple recipe to try:
1. Flax Seed Podi:
Flax Seeds – ½ Cup, ChannaDhal – ½ Cup, UradDhal – ½ Cup(with or without skin), White Sesame Seeds – 2 Spoons, RedChilli, Curry Leaves, Cumin Seeds, Pepper, Garlic, Oil and Salt.
Add Flax Seeds in a dry pan and fry it until it pops. Place it aside, and simultaneously do the same for Channa Dhal, Urad Dhal until the color changes. Fry the White Sesame seeds and place it aside when the seeds pops up. Now add Red Chilli, Curry Leaves, Cumin and Pepper and sauté for 5 minutes. (The above process of frying is done without oil). Now add a spoon and oil, add 2-3 cloves of Garlic and keep it aside once it turns brown. Allow to cool the ingredients and finally blend it by adding salt. The consistency will be like a course powder. Now the podi is ready to be served with oil or ghee.